Baked Ham with Brown Sugar, Mustard, & Honey Glaze
Serves: 8 Preheat Oven Temp: 325
1 8-10 lb. ham, cut and variety of your choice
1 cup unsweetened apple juice
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
2/3 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 Place the ham in a roasting pan or glass baking dish. Pour the apple juice over the ham and cover with parchment paper and then foil. Seal the foil tightly around the edge of the pan.
2 Bake at 325 for 4 hours. (The ham should reach 145 on a thermometer).
3 After baking time, remove the ham from the oven. Increase the oven temperature to 375.
4 Remove the parchment paper and foil and drain away the liquid in the pan.
5 Cut off any excess fat and rind from the surface of the ham, then score the ham with a knife making a diamond pattern. Cut into the surface about 1/4” deep.
6 Spread the Dijon mustard over the surface of the ham, pushing it into the cuts.
7 Pat the surface with the brown sugar, covering the top. Drizzle the honey over top last.
8 Bake the ham uncovered in the 375 oven for about 20-30 minutes, until the glaze begins to crisp. Remove the ham from the oven and allow it to rest for 30 minutes. Slice and serve.
Hints and Tips
Here are a few alternatives for flavoring the ham if you want to try something different:
– Mix 1 cup crushed pineapple with 1 cup brown sugar, spread over ham and baste w/ juice.
– Heat 1 cup cherry juice with 1 cup honey and baste frequently with this syrup.
– Cook 2 cups dried apricots with 2-1/2 cups water until soft, rub through a sieve, add 1 cup of sugar, mix well and brush over ham.
- Old Fashioned Southern Brown Sugar Maple Glazed Ham (kissmyingredients.com)
- Orange Baked Ham (easydiabeticmeals.wordpress.com)
- Best hams for the holidays (consumerreports.org)